In this university profile, we look at the University of Warwick and the top ten things you need to know before applying.
University of Warwick: 10 things you need to know
- The University of Warwick is located in the heart of England near to the beautiful old Spa town of Leamington Spa and within easy reach of the bright lights of Birmingham. Part of a 1960’s government initiative to expand higher education in the UK, Warwick may not be famed for it’s beautiful buildings but it is renowned as one of the best research Universities in the UK (7th in 2017) and the University most targeted by the top 100 UK employers. (Graduate Market 2017)
- The University has 29 academic departments and over 50 research centres and institutes. Their English and Literary studies as well as their Economics and Business and Management programmes all come in the top 30 of the QS global subject rankings in 2017. The Warwick University Business School has courses that are ranked inside the world top ten for their kind.
- Entry to Warwick is extremely competitive – in 2016 they received over 37,000 applications and only 5,000 students secured places.
Need help securing a place at the University of your choice? Contact our experienced consultants at Gabbitas Education.
- The University has around 25,600 full-time students and 2,400 academic and research staff. Around a third of the student body comes from overseas and over 120 countries are represented on the campus. Student satisfaction rankings are consistently high in the 80% plus range. There are over 200,000 graduates worldwide, so there is a truly global alumni community.
- All the degrees are built around core and optional modules, which means you can add modules from different departments to really encompass all your interests. Some of the degrees include a work placement year and others have an opportunity to go and study abroad.
- The University are very focussed on helping students with careers planning, they host over 150 careers events a year and some 300 leading employers visit the campus to meet students. The Careers team also help with internships and work placement opportunities too. Plus they have their own onsite Unitemp office so students can find part time work in the local area.
- Warwick has always been a forward thinking University…. The Business School recently opened a base at The Shard in London, making its world-renowned research and executive education accessible to the UK capital. The University is also collaborating with Jaguar Land Rover, Tata Motors European Technical Centre and WMG to build the National Automotive Innovation Centre, a 33,000m2 of space for engineers, designers and academics to work together to create and develop novel technologies to reduce dependency on fossil fuels and to reduce CO2.
Talk to our experienced Gabbitas consultants about our Student Preparation Packages.
- For a self contained campus there is masses to do! The Warwick Arts Centre, a multi-venue arts complex in the main campus, is the largest venue of its kind in the UK outside London and attracts award winning theatre companies, top bands, comedians and dancers. There is also a gallery and a large screen cinema and restaurants. There are also more than 300 student run societies which cover everything from astronomy to circus skills and plenty of sporting facilities.
- The University offers a good range of accommodation with 11 self catering halls on campus and more than 8,000 rooms on and off campus let through the student property management agency.
- Notable alumni
- Stephen Merchant – BAFTA, Emmy and Golden Globe-award winning writer, director,
- Guðni Thorlacius Jóhannesson – current President of Iceland,
- Andrew Haldane – Chief Economist at the Bank of England.
- Ruth Jones – creator of Gavin and Stacey
- Simon Mayo – award-winning radio broadcaster.
- Valerie Amos – Labour politician, first black woman to sit in the Cabinet.
- Leslie Valiant – computer scientist and ACM Turing Award winner.
- Oliver Hart – expert economist, winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics 2016.
Interested in applying to the University of Warwick? Get in touch to see how we can help you with your application today.