As the heat is rising and the long days of summer are approaching, the thought of a summer camp for your child looks ever more appealing. But how do you go about finding the right camp? Do you want entertainment, education or a combination of both? To help you choose the best programme for your child whether you are in the UAE, in Europe or the UK, we have put together a list of questions to think about and some potential solutions.
What do you need to think about when choosing a summer programme?
3) The summer is a perfect time to pick up or improve on a language. Bell run fabulous English Language programmes in the heart of England with great outings to local attractions or if you are looking for French or German then Chantemerle is ideal with a combined activities language programme or for Arabic and other activities you might want to look at Kings Academy, Jordan.
4) What if your child has more of an interest in coding, marketing or aeronautical Engineering? Summer courses for all of these exist at FunTech Summer Camps in the UK, Bournemouth University or closer to the UAE, Kings Academy, Jordan. For the more arty or “luvvies” anongst the family then you can act and create all you like at Felsted School summer camp or the Young Film Academy.
5) If your child is starting to think about University then the summer can be used very productively taking courses in subjects they might want to study as a degree. You can take course in Law, PPE,Dentistry at Kings College London or take the opportunity to experience Oxford with Oxford Summer School.
6) For some children a few weeks away from the indulgence of Dubai can be very helpful and there are great camps which have a focus on healthy living and eating. Check out Wellsprings UK.
8) If your child is thinking ahead to careers but is too young for work experience then there are some fascinating options such as the Geneva School of Diplomacy and International Relations, or the Glion summer school program for hospitality in London.
Whatever courses you decide to explore you will also need to think about:
These courses offer you the opportunity to explore your favorite subjects in more depth, improve your English and gain an insight into your chosen career field.
Training provided by the AFC Bournemouth Community Sports Trust
Young Learners (10 – 15 years) £1151
Vacation students (16-19 years) £996
3) Oxford Study Course, Pre-IB Summer SchoolAge: 16-18
Academically rigorous courses, with dedicated class time on main IB subjects. Experienced IB teachers from top IB schools help students to reach the required starting level, whatever their education background. Workshops and seminars develop the necessary skills and knowledge and encourage students to develop, debate and explore new topics and ideas.
4) International Summer Camp Crans-Montana, Switzerland
A combination of recreational, educational and social activities while living together helps the international camper acquire maturity and independence. The camp also offers language lessons in English, French, Italian and German.
5) Horse Riding Camps, La Gerencia Equestrian Center – Spain
These riding camps for children are packed full of fun, adventure, learning and friendships with the additional opportunity to learn Spanish whilst being immersed with local Spanish speaking children.
6) Kings Academy, Jordan
Arabic, English, Math: Students aged 12 to 16 who are interested in improving their skills in these areas can participate in four-week academic programs taught by King’s Academy faculty.
i2 Camp: For the science-minded youngster, aged 11 to 15, an exciting science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) camp features one-week courses developed by some of the most prestigious and im-portant leaders in the field, including the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), NASA, Columbia Uni-versity, the New York Academy of Sciences and the Boston Museum of Science.
This course is designed specifically for students as preparation for university. This programme give students a taster course of the degree they wish to pursue at an undergraduate level. This intensive two week programme combines academic classes, social excursions, and university prep skill sessions.
8) Millfield College, England
Ages: 6 -17
English Holiday Courses
With the option of four great campuses and attending for 2 or 6 weeks, the Millfied Holiday Course caters to students aged 6 – 17. The Millfield Summer Course offers high quality English tuition, along with school trips and exciting social activities.
9) Geneva School of Diplomacy International Relations Summer School
Ages: Aimed for 15-20 years old
A one week programme designed to experience life of a diplomat at the United Nations in Geneva with short courses in relevant topics in international relations, taught in English by leading experts in the field. Ideal for students who are interested in degree programmes in political science, international relations and the political economy. A great opportunity to make contacts for future internships and career opportunities.
10) FunTech Summer Camp, UK
A week of high tech classes including coding and programming plus outdoor physical activities with games of Body Zorbing, Murder Mystery and Laser Clay Shooting to name a few. The two residential camps are going to be at Tonbridge and Ellesmere College.
11) Wellsprings UK
Ages: 10 – 24
Located in the heart of the beautiful county of Devon in the South West of England, this camp focuses on promoting healthy eating habits through its program specialized for children and teenagers. The children will experience a fun summer where they can make friends, increase their confidence through exciting activities.
12) Bournemouth University, UK
Business and Marketing residential courses with a focus on questions such as ‘Why is social media advertising so effective?’ ‘What planning is needed for a successful marketing campaign?’
13) Bell English, UK
With campuses in Cambridge and London Bell caters for all levels and ages of English as a foreign language.
14) Brillantmont International school, Summer Program
15) Chantemerle Summer Camp
Located on the Swiss Riviera between Geneva and Montreux, Chantemerle Summer Camp offers language summer programs with intensive French, German and/or English with the option to sit the official DELF or Cambridge certifications in July. Outside of the classroom children enjoy fun filled activities within the camp and exciting excursions which include trips to Euro-Park in Germany, to the UN headquarters in Geneva and to the Nestle Chocolate Factory!
19) Glion Summer School Program, London
Gain valuable insight into the world of hotel management and global tourism studies in central London.You will learn skills in hospitality and event management while having fun and making new friends from around the world.
This is a great opportunity to get a taster of a British Boarding School while meeting new friends from different cultures, improving your English, go on fun excursions and enjoy lots of fun and healthy fitness sessions.